Monday, 9 April 2012

At Anchor

» Take me to the docks there is a ship without a name
That is sailing to the middle of the sea «

We're all ... ships.  Some of us are still at the docks, at anchor. We are softly swinging in the waves between salty winds and cool ocean rainfalls, watching the other ships pass by. They are sailing away, sailing to solitary islands, hidden beaches and secret harbours.  They have a captain and the crew who know that nothing can ever stop them. So they are bright and beautiful, facing sea storms, underwater monsters and murderous pirates. Fighting adventure after adventure.
They have a name.

Taken in Howth, Ireland
But we, who are still at anchor, we don't. We're waiting. We are waiting for someone to see us, someone to choose us, someone to say "That's my ship! That's the one I'll be sailing the seven seas with". The person will come with a bright smile on his face and fresh paint to cover the rust, with oil to make our engines brandnew. He'll give us a name. Because we don't want to be the ship without one anymore, without shiny white letters indicating the glorious days we're heading to. We want to have a meaning.
So ... we are ships, too. Because sometimes we need someone to give us more than we have, more than we ever dreamt of. A meaning we never thought we would ever have. A destination to a place we only saw in our wildest dreams. That's what we're waiting for. 
And we know that it'll be worth it.

Quote: Benjamin Francis Leftwich - Atlas Hands

6 comments:

  1. Awesome post! You've interpreted that song so well. :) I absolutely agree with everything you've said. I know I'm in that waiting stage, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! The beginning of the song got so stucked in my head somehow, and then I had this photo I took, and I just had to do a post! It's always soo great to know that someone understands the things I write about, and to know that there are people who have trouble just moving on and sailing towards adventures, too. Now we are at least not waiting on our own, you know :)

      Delete
    2. You're so very welcome! The post was perfect. :) And I really love the picture you took. Absolutely! The whole reason I wanted to do my blog was to find these connections. It's so awesome to know others feel the same as me. :) Exactly, I couldn't have put it better myself. I'm not waiting alone. That's such an amazing feeling.

      Delete
  2. Your posts are always so inspiring!
    I love this one. If I think of myself as a ship at anchor, the wait seems much easier somehow. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so flattered, thank you! :) I also love the metaphor of being a ship at at anchor..just because I love the sea and the seagulls and everything about it. And, ships are meant to sail the oceans and so are we! Because we're ships!:)

      Delete
    2. You're very welcome. :) Yes, same with me. Haha, that's right! :)

      Delete