Where do I belong?
I know we are just all chasing around looking for this place where we fit in and where we can be ourselves. Until a certain point it's where your parents are. That's were you belong, your place, your home. But the moment you move out, the moment you decide on your own and start to live a life apart from your family, you leave the place you know best behind to jump into a new life that is not even constructed yet. It's like swimming through cold water looking for an island, or sometimes it's just running through a huge building with hundreds of rooms where all the numbers look the same and the EXIT signs just pull you deeper into the labyrinth of corridors.
![]() |
| Oostende, Belgium |
Sometimes that's what my life feels like. You are running from a person to another trying to figure out if they could be your friend, and you're chasing your thoughts trying to put them into the right order so that the missing puzzle pieces and cloudy questions signs can ease your mind, for just a moment.
It's is a confusing thing, living your own life. Saying "I go home" is ambigious and could refer to two places, and sometimes I belong to neither of them. My room at home, where I grew up, is still familiar and the same, but it feels empty and marble from time to time. My room in my other home, where I study, is warm and cozy, but it's like the protecting walls are missing, the outer support system. Which of these two places is mine?
When you stop belonging to your parents at a certain age, it's mostly your partner, boyfriend, who is the person you belong to. It's just where your place is, without any doubt. Or if you don't have a boyfriend, your really close friends are the ones who feel like family to you.
But what if nothing feels right anymore?
I've always wanted a place for me, a place where I belong. Now that I am trying to build a life outside of my home town, this issue becomes more and more important to me. Between books and lectures and homework I am trying to fit into a world which sometimes seems so different, loud and peculiar to me, that I found myself in a carousel that keeps circeling faster and faster until the lights around me blur into a huge streak of colours.
I'm trying to focus on something else instead, but it's hard. I know I will always be home where my family is, I will always have my place here which could never be taken in by anyone else, but the older I get the more I start thinking about my own life. My own place.
Maybe it's out there somewhere. Eventually.
And I am just here with open eyes looking for this WELCOME sign.

Incredible post, Meri! Love the ending especially.
ReplyDeleteI have a feeling that I will be experiencing these same things when I go to college next fall and it will be scary but exciting and confusing but in a good way.
Keep your head up and trust that you will find your way eventually. It will work out and you will find your place but you're right, it's out there somewhere for now. Hope it's a beautiful beach house somewhere as that seems like your perfect spot. :)
Sorry to have been gone for so long! I hope you're doing alright. And I miss you.
I am so happy to hear from you, seriously :) You probably had a heavy dose of real life lately? And I am also so glad to hear you like my post. I don't come to write often the last time because I am busy as well, but my thoughts still twirl through my head like crazy. Thank you so much for your encouraging words, you always end up saying the right things. It would be really nice to talk to you again, it would mean a lot! I hope you're doing fine.
DeleteReally? Aw, I'm glad! I've missed you soso much. :) Haha, a very heavy dose and I'm sick of it. Finally caught a break this week. Of course I like it! Your writing is always incredible. I know what you mean, the same happens to me. So many thoughts and little time to write them all down. You're welcome. :) We definitely need to!!! I'll make sure to be on the laptop more so I can be on Google Talk or we can Skype if you'd want. I'm doing pretty well!
DeleteI missed you too :( I was wondering a lot what you were up to all the time... so it would be so nice to talk to you again. I'll just try to be online on skype or google talk and then we might end up being online at the same time! :-) I'm happy you're fine :)
Delete