Monday, 9 December 2013

Shadows and Choices

The thought of my blog has been sitting in the back of my mind like a black crow somewhere on a branch, high in the trees. I feel really bad for ignoring it even if he's crowing for attention. 
So, here I am, again. I can't promise I'll write another post before this year ends, but I will try to. Or maybe I won't, I don't know... BLOGtober was a really fun thing to do and I felt oh-so-creative making up all these ideas what to write about, and eventually I could make it a thing, just really posting every week if I put my mind onto it. But instead, I just abandoned it again like old furniture in the attic that we only dust every now and then.

More than the thought of my blog that has been crawling through my head, has alle the other thoughts been resting on my shoulders like bricks, weighing me down more than I want to allow them. All these worries and fears and doubts float like shadows around me, and soon it'll be the time of the year again where I will find if they all were to come true, like little nightmares escaping from my head into the light of the day. In other words - exam period is coming closer and closer and I feel like pumping myself for a fight, training for the war, getting ready for the big finale. It's a bit like the silence before a storm right now, just preparing, packing my mind, writing schedules. It will be a tough one this semester since I will have my 3 hardest exams in just 4 days and I am doing my best to not think about it and not panic, just plan and fill my head with rational thoughts, which is, if you're like me, a little fight for itself. It's all about being realistic, isn't it? Because the only thing that weighs us down, like these bricks we all feel from time to time, are expectations that we have towards ourselves, pressure we create, results we want to see but won't get - and too often they are just not realistic. Positive thinking is a good thing but probably something I will never learn, being realistic is a different story, and at least I am slowly walking into that direction instead of surrounding myself with all the negative thoughts that ruin every bit of sanity I have. Those thoughts are just slowly drowing you and once you're in this state of mind when you just feel low about everything around you, it's hard to pull yourself up and start swimming.

Christmas time helped me, and finding a friend here helped me too. Eventhough I am still anxious, and I still have some nights of crying ahead of me (to be realistic), it's getting better, slowly. I wouldn't say I can believe in myself, believe that I can do this and be good enough to actually achieve something here, I might be getting there. Eventually. And next year can't possibly be even worse than this year has been, can it? Because it has actually been the worst of my life so far. I knew that this all wouldn't be easy, but why the heck is it just so hard? I always try to tell myself that this is my choice, it was my choice to come here and study to get this degree, I could have chosen something else, maybe something easier, but I didn't because this is what I want. Sometimes I am jealous of my friends who are totally fine with their studies and just occasionaly drowing in work, for wanting something they are good at, something they actually succeed it. But I can't change what I want, not without regretting forever that I didn't try, so it doesn't make a difference anyways.

I don't really know what else to write, eventhough I like posting things like this, I never know if they aren't just really boring or uncreative, but I will post this anyways, in case someone is interested in it. 

So I will count the days to Christmas now, count the days I have left to study for my exams, and also trying to make the days count, no matter how boring they are sometimes. We can always find at least one good thing in every day. Can't we?

6 comments:

  1. I love all the metaphors you've used here, and I can definitely relate to them. I don't have exams to do but I know what it's like to be stressed out about the future. I feel bad about ignoring my blog too, it seems to be going around a lot this year for some reason! :/
    There's a quote that I remembered while I was reading this. "If things were easy to find, they wouldn't be worth looking for." Often the hardest things are the most rewarding in the end. :) Just don't drive yourself crazy in the meantime. Haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Yes, it seems that all we do is stressing about the future, instead of just living in the moment, but that seems like a hard thing to do :/ I love that quote and I always think about it in times like these, and I guess it's true.. or I hope it's true. But we will appreciate them more for sure if we worked hard for them or waited a long time :) I hope you're not stressing too much and enjoy the Christmas time xx

      Delete
    2. Exactly! Yes, that's true. And once you look back you'll be glad you worked so hard. :) Thank you! Have a lovely holiday season!

      Delete
  2. At least. And oftentimes, you'll find there are lots of little good things that are easy to overlook.
    I can now relate to how you're feeling about finals (although on a less-stressed level since I don't have as many) and gosh it's awful but we're both going to get through it, ok? You're on the right path and I'm proud of you for trying so hard for what you want. It's inspirational really.
    So sorry to hear this year has been the worst for you and I hope beyond all hope that next year will be better! I think it has to be, though, so I wouldn't worry if I were you.
    Keep your head up and try to smile every now and again while you endure this. It'll be over before you know it! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your post is so sweet, thank you a lot! I hope everything's going well in college, it's probably just a fact that it's hard so sometimes I feel so stupid to complain so much, haha.. Yes, I really hope next year will be better, it's sad how I make everything depend on my grades eventhough there are a lot more things to be proud of/happy about /grateful for. Your words really made me feel better and I will try not to worry so much, it just makes you crazy. Wish you all the best too and a lovely Christmas :) <3 xx

      Delete
    2. Oh you're welcome! Thank you, it is so far. College is hard! So you have every right to complain when it gets to be too much to bear. It's hard to not stress about grades and at least you can acknowledge that there's more to life than them. Thank you and have a lovely Christmas yourself! <3

      Delete