![]() |
| Photo taken in my garden |
Today was the first day I googled a psalm. It may sound awkward to google a psalm rather than look it up in the bible, but because I didn't know which one it was I was looking for, I had to google what I knew about it. I found it quickly because it is often used as baptismal verse. I used it as mine, as I had my confirmation with 14 years and got baptised for that, too. The only thing I could remember was that it had something about angels in it. It was psalm 91:11.
For he will command his angels concerning you
to guard you in all your ways
I still know why I chose it. Even at that time, when I was confronted with God a lot, I wasn't really truly sure if I believe in him, so I chose a verse about something I thought I believe in or at least something I really would want to believe in : Angels. Although I can't really picture anything about them, what they are like or what they might do, I like the thought of them being around us, in Heaven, and especially the thought that people who are not with us anymore are now angels above us. I think that's why I chose it. Because I think I like angels and I like thinking that my grandfather is looking over me like angels do. I even think that I had this on my mind when I chose this verse.
So, now I read the whole psalm. It was awkward because the last time I read in a bible was some years ago in my religion class. And there I kinda had to read in it and couldn't relate to it at all. But I can remember that when I went to church due to my confirmation class I always liked the psalms because they were shorter and more like poems. And I can still imagine that I'd rather like to read some more psalms than ... the other stuff... in the bible.. Well, you see, I don't know much about that at all. It confuses me but somehow I find it interesting. And that's strange because the opposite has always been the case.
Now there's one more thought I'd like to share. I had it the night before I wrote my last post, but it was too early to write about it because it was so strange and new to me. Now I'm going to try to explain it.
One reason why I could never imagine believing is God was that I didn't like the thought of needing someone to guide me, someone who is higher than me, greater than me. Why should I need anybody else than myself to make me happy? Why should I humble myself? Who or what should be more important than me for I am everything I have?
So, the night I was thinking about that and was again sure that I won't find answers. But I think I found something, I guess, and when it hit me, chills were running down my spine and I didn't want to move a finger because I was afraid this kind illuminating thought would go as fast as it came to my mind.
At once I found myself being incredibly selfish. Like, really, really selfish. And when I now think of the thoughts I had about nothing being above me, I am just ashamed. Not because I am sure now that God is above me and I should be humbled by God - it's more like ... regarding the world, regarding all what's around us, regarding nature and the millions of years this world is existing in all its beauty. Regarding all that - I should be humbled. Because I am small and tiny and only a little part of this world's plan. You tend to think you're one of a kind, you're seperated and alone. But we are all the same people and we are all tiny in contrast to the world. There are dozens of things higher than me. We may be all be our own wonders, but the world is a wonder that goes beyond everything.
I don't know how much sense this makes in anybody else's eyes and I don't know if I was able to make this point clear. I am confused, you know? Don't forget that.
I know the next thought, the next station would be to think about that God created this world which is so much more than I will ever be. That he created that all, us all. But I haven't come to a conclusion regarding that. I have to do some thinking.
So I will surf the internet now for things and stuff and those crazy bible-pages at whose url's I never would have clicked before.That's really awkward but I need some knowledge about it right now and maybe it will lead me to some answers.
Now then .. thank you for reading my first God-related post. I am glad that I can share my thoughts here because if I couldn't, I wouldn't know where to vent my feelings. So ... thank you.

Yay! I'm glad you are starting to feel these things. And once you continue digging, you start to have more of those life-changing revelations. May you continue to find more and more good information and I pray that God puts more people in your life that might help you.
ReplyDeleteI don't know if you've ever heard this before, and I'm not trying to force anything onto you, but I feel the need to say it like Win said it to me when I was still a bit unsure on where I stood. Do you know how much God loves you? Even if you don't believe He's there yet? Even if you might not want to believe He's there? Because He really does. No matter what.
So often I heard that He is supreme creator and the highest king and all of those titles, but I'd never thought that He might love me.
Hey I really don't mind you telling/asking me those things. I find it extremy thought-provoking.. and no, I haven't thought about it yet. It's a strange thought. Aw it's so difficult! I really love you for being so supportive, it means a lot to me. You are so kind. I was thinking of digging in the bible a bit because I want to know more about it all, plus I have nothing to lose. I could read the whole book and still decide to not change my beliefs, but then I at least know what it's all about and what I am judging over. But for now I just find it so extremely interesting. So please just write me more thought-provoking things, I feel like I need that. Your blog is really helping me these days and I find the God-related posts so inspiring. Thank you for much for sharing them.
DeleteGood! Because I don't want to come on too strong and scare you away or look like some super-religious person because I'm not. I failed a lot, found God because by His grace He sent me a lady who would bring me to Him, and found out He loves me so much more than anyone ever could. Don't worry. And don't make any hasty decisions. He wants you to come willingly and knowing the full weight of what you're doing. Not because you feel like others are pressuring you or anything. It's good that you're trying to learn and grow and understand-those are the best steps. Admittedly, in some ways I wish that would've been the way I would've found Him. But I needed even more help than that. Since you're asking me, I definitely will. :) It's my pleasure to share them.
DeleteSomething thought-provoking for tonight (or at least it's night where I am)? Hmmmm... One of the core things I believe is that God sent His son (Jesus) to die for us because He loves us. For whatever reason, that always escaped me, too. It was because of love. Not because of some other motivator. God wanted to wash away all of the sin in the world, and so He sent someone who could deny what the world offered him and who was willing to bear the full weight of our sins even though he was faultless. Jesus died so that we might live and be free of sin. We are forgiven if we're willing to first accept it and then later believe and live it. This is the basis for what I believe. It's just the tip of the iceberg, but it's still so remarkable in itself.
No, you definitely don't come over too strong to me. As I already said, I'm really interesting in this right now and so I love reading your comments. I find it still strange to start believing in the unseen at a time when you're feeling helpless because I tend to think that the person himself should be able to manage his life and make himself happy. Sometimes I have the feeling that it's an escape from "real things" to believe in God. But as you said, there are lots of different ways to get to know God. I am definitely going to take a closer look at the bible.
DeleteAnd about your thought-provoking thought.. why should God really send someone to the Earth to let him die there? I mean, isn't that mean? For Jesus? How could God do that? This part still sounds kinda abstract to me. Sometimes it's so hard to understand that people really believe that because I can't imagine it. Probably it's just about faith, believing in things you can't see, isn't it?
Good, I really was worried about that. :) I used to think that, too. But I've found it's so much more wonderful to believe unshakeably that a greater being is watching over you and completely loving you and wanting to make you happy. I can't even describe this feeling properly, really. I know what you mean. As humans, we aren't used to trusting that anyone would have our best interests at heart and absolute belief isn't common or easy for us. We like to have things in front of us in order to believe in them. We like control.
DeleteI thought the same, but then I heard a beautiful message from our pastor whom I trust wholeheartedly. He told us that Jesus willingly went. Jesus knew why He was sent, and He went in order to save us because He and God (who are unified) love us so much. It wasn't just "someone" He was-and is-part of God. God sent a part of Him to be made human and die. For us. If we weren't sinful, then it wouldn't have been necessary. It really is. Which is probably the biggest hurdle you'll face. All I can absolutely tell you is that once you surrender to God and let Him know that you're ready to be His, you are changed. A kind of change that can't happen on its own. One that only comes from a personal relationship with Him.
Thanks again, I found it so amazing to read your post, to imagine how it must feel to believe in such a greater being and to wonder what I can do to further stimulate myself in this aspect. Because I really want. It's so strange I find this all so interesting because I just never thought that way. Maybe it sounds awkward but I recently downloaded a Bible-app which has a reading-plan to, so I can get to know more things in the Bible. I never would have thought that I actually like reading in it, but I do, and maybe I'll jut keep going with it looking where it will get me. Because I really don't know :)
DeleteAnytime, Meri! I'm glad you're starting to think this way. :) I have something similar (or maybe even the same) and I love it! I do a devotional at night because I've also been trying to read my Bible more. I really enjoy it too. It usually has awesome passages that really relate to what's going on at the moment. And that's alright. :) I didn't know either at first.
DeleteI understand what you mean. It can be hard to accept that there is something above us; something greater than us. I guess looking at the things Jehovah God has created is the best way to put it into perspective. :)
ReplyDeleteCould I offer you some advice? You don't have to follow it, of course, but I thought I'd make a suggestion. :) If you go searching for knowledge on the internet, what you will find will probably confuse you more. A lot of people put their opinions out into the world when they have no basis. There are so many ideas about God and the Bible that people teach that aren't true. I'd love to answer any questions you have, like I said before. I want you to know the truth. :)
Of course you can offer me any advice you want, as I already commented on here, I am excited to hear those things. And I definitely know what you mean and think that you are right. Yesterday I read that discussion you two and other people were having on Adam's blog post "lighted carriage & the starlit night", about if God existed or not. On the one hand I found it extremey interesting and thought-provoking because I kinda could relate to both sides a bit, but on the other hand it was confusing because I know that poeple have different opinions and that it will make it even harder for me if I let myself be influenced by them. What I actually meant with my internet-research was to look for Bible-related things, how I could come to read it and how. I find myself being kind of interested in that and I really appreciate your support. I have the feeling that you have a very strong belief in God which sometimes intimidates me. So how important is it to you that people around you, like friends, share your belief? Do you like most being with people who think the same?
DeleteYes, it's very hard to make decisions when they are so many different opinions.
DeleteOh dear! I didn't mean to intimidate you! I'm just an ordinary person who believes in God; I'm not anything special. I still sin as much as anyone! I'm very sorry for making you feel intimidated. :(
Well, I don't live in a very religious area, so many of the people around me have little or no faith in God. Like I said, most of my relatives aren't Christian, but I still like being around them! And not all of my friends believe in God. I like talking to and being around nice people, whether they're Christian or not. :) I certainly don't try to force people to believe in God or hold anything against them if they don't. :)
By the way, if you don't have a Bible of your own but you would like to read it, you can read it by downloading it on http://www.jw.org/index.html?option=QrYQCsVrGlVlYR :)
Hey, don't worry about it, I'm fine :) And don't say you're not special, to me you are! I love reading your comments and I really appreciate you, I do! It doesn't go without saying that you take time for me :)
DeleteOkay this sounds very nice! I just was interested to which extend religion plays a role in your friendships and stuff because I don't know, I would feel like really intimidated by people who say that religion is a criteria when it comes to "choose" friends or so .. I don't know, but however, forget about it!
I actually just downloaded a Bible-app (which sounds very awkward somehow) so I kinda have a Bible now on my phone .. there's a reading-plan which I started too and I find myself really interested in it. Awkward because I would have never thought that. But anyhow thank you for the link! :)
That's good. :) Aw, thankyou! You're so nice, and special too! :)
DeleteWhich translation did you get? I thought the one on the link would be good because it's a very accurate translation and it has God's name right through it. But that's alright! :) It's sad because a lot of translations these days don't have His name in them at all!
I'm having a German one and also downloaded one in English, it's the American Standard Version, and as far as I noticed it, God is called there Jehova as well, I guess you mean that..Are you one of Jehova's witnesses then? Because of the Bible translation you suggested.
DeleteThat would be good. It must be so cool to be able to speak two languages fluently! Yes, I am. :)
DeleteAnother thing, there's this awesome book called "What Does the Bible Really Teach?" that you can also download as a PDF in either German or English that I think you would enjoy. You can go to http://www.jw.org/index.html?option=QrYQCsVrGlBBX and scroll down to the bottom of the page. I found it very helpful when I wanted to know more about the Bible. :)
Okay thank you! :) It's very handy you can just download it, I'm going to take a look at it!!
DeleteCool! If you do download it, let me know what you think. :)
DeleteI have so much respect for you right now. You have such a talent for writing and getting these wonderful thoughts down into words. It was truly refreshing to read. <3
ReplyDeleteOh My God, thank you so much :O It means a LOT to me when people take their time reading my posts and then even leave a comment on them. Like really. Aww. I am so flattered right now! Believe me, I appreciate you so much!! *_*
ReplyDelete