Monday, 11 June 2012

Saltwater Skin

Cala Mondrago, Spain
My name is Finnish and means 'Ocean'.
Since I can remember, the sea has been one of my favourite places in the whole world. When I was a kid, I spent nearly every holiday with my family at the West coast of France in different appartements which were all close to the sea.
I loved it. I can remeber how I marched to the beach with my brother, we both in our rubberboots and rainjackets, sometimes with balls or frisbees with us. I can remember how we waded in the flat water, jumped over the waves and counted them. The Seventh, my father used to say, was always the biggest, and we screamed of joy when the waves washed in and nearly ran into our boots. I can remember how we collected sea shells and built castles of sand and observed crabs and seagulls, how we made up our own imaginary worlds hiding between bushes and jumping from stone to stone.
I can remember how the marram grass used to prick us while we ran up and down the sandy dunes, nearly too fast for our feet.
Those were good times and happy memories I am thankful for.
But back to the days now when the vacations with my family are rare, but my obsession with the ocean is still there.
I've always longed for the distance. And where else, when not at the beach, looking to the horizon where waves kiss the sky, the seagulls fly high and the sun sets deep far behind the crystal seas, can it be found?
The most beautiful ocean I have ever seen is in Mallorca, a Spanish island in the Mediterranean Sea.
I was there 2 weeks ago with a really good friend of mine. It was warm and perfect. We spent days at the beach listening to the soft crashing of the waves, burying our feet in the sand, feeling the sun shine down on our saltwatered bodies. We swam in the ocean, swam away from the crowd and turned back to see how far away the beach was, how tiny our towels and how near the horizon. I scuba dived through the shades of blue above small fishes into the deep which was so much colder than the surface, only to get that alarming but yet thrilling feeling of diving too deep. I can still recall the feeling when our arms cut through the brilliant water as we swam and the salty taste in my mouth and my nose as a bigger wave crashed into my face. I wish I could still float on the water, lying on my back swaying in the waves like on a giant bed of turquoise jelly.
Cala Mondrago, Mallorca, Spain
I miss the ocean, now that I think about it. I feel like I need to go back there, feel the salty breeze on my face and hear the sound of the waves in my ears. I feel like I need to be there.
One of the dreams I have is owning a house on the seaside, only a stone's throw away from the beach. A house with big windows, which fill the rooms with rushing sea and seagull orchestra when they are opened. A house so near to the escape I long to and the never-ending daydreams I have when I stare into the waves.
The ocean is a fascinating thing. Until I can be there again, I will listen to "Explorers" by Sky Sailing, "Into the Sea" by Port Blue or "Scuba Dive" by Glacier Island. Those songs understand the beauty of the crystal seas I begin to miss the second I leave them.

9 comments:

  1. Wow! This is definitely one of my favourite posts. You've captured the beauty of the ocean perfectly! The best sight in the world is the endless ocean, the best sound in the world is crashing waves, the best smell in the world is salty air, and the best feeling in the world is swimming under the waves!
    You're so lucky to have a name with such a special meaning. :D
    That picture is amazing. And I love those songs! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, and I forgot to say, I finally checked out Pixlr-o-matic! It's really awesome! I've been using it a lot and I have the app on my iPod now. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank you I am so happy you like it!! This post really came from my heart because it's about something I love so much. You are so right.. there is nothing more beautiful than the ocean. I could write pages about it, really. Maybe it sounds awkward but I forget so often about the meaning of my name in connection with my love to the ocean. My name is just so normal to me that I tend to forget its meaning although I love it so much :-)
      I'm recommending Glacier Island to like everyone right now, I don't know if you meant that song too but if you haven't listened to it yet you should, I love it so much! Their other songs are so good too.
      And Pixlr-o-matic is so super awesome, I know! I nearly edit every single photo with it because it's so much fun and makes every picture special!:)

      Delete
    2. You're welcome! I love the ocean too. I guess the ocean is kind of in my blood, because I've been on the coast wherever I've lived and I've come to treasure it so much. :)
      Yes! Glacier Island is really beautiful. I think Scuba Dive is my favourite, and The Chess Club is my second favourite because it's so sweet and funny. :)
      I do too now! And yes, it does. :D

      Delete
    3. You are so lucky! I've always wished to live by the ocean. I hope someday I will, it would be truly a dream come true. It must be so wonderful!
      And it's awesome you like Glacier Island, I'm so trying to make them more "popular" and tell everybody about them because they're sadly kind of unknown :-/ But I love their music so much. "Moonglow" is one of my favourites too, it's beautiful. I'm so glad you like them as well :-)

      Delete
    4. I hope you can live near the ocean too someday! :) I've never lived right on the ocean, like not on a beach, but always quite near, which is great. :)
      It's sad when not many people know about such awesome bands. :( Yes, Moonglow is gorgeous too. :)

      Delete
  3. Wow, what an awesome name! I wish mine had such a cool meaning.
    The ocean is by far the most beautiful thing I've encountered. It drew me in. The sounds and smells and sights accompanied with it are breathtaking. I know how it is to long for that kind of beauty. It's nearly heartbreaking. I hope your dream of that house comes true; it would be amazing. And this post of yours is one of my favorites! You are such a good writer. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aw, I can't thank you enough! It always makes me so happy when someone likes my posts. :) I could write pages over the ocean and everything that has to do with it. It is just so stunning and awesome, although it's so big and keeps us apart! ;)I really wish I could live at the seaside someday, or go scuba diving or surfing.. everything about the ocean is so fascinating :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) You are welcome! Same here. I've only seen it a handful of times and yet it still inspires me so much. So gorgeous! And yes, that's the only bad part-being apart from people I really want to meet like you. :) That would be amazing! Scuba diving sounds so fun.

      Delete